Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Poem: The Distance

The Distance – 8/13


There is a Distance...
A Distance that no single person can traverse
The farthest you can reach is halfway
Before you must reverse;
Unless there is another.
This other is just like you
Getting halfway is the best he/she can do
But the both of you must desire to meet in the middle.
The Distance is a treacherous bridge
Dangling precariously from ridge to ridge
Daring us all to play it's dangerous game.
For those who win,
A joyous time will begin
And if they are loving enough
It will not end.
Their victory is that of Cupid's delight
When they meet in the middle
He allows for them to take flight.
But for those who suffer defeat
There is nothing but pain and sadness
Anguish and despair
And even bouts of madness.
To fall into the pit below the Distance
Is to fall into fate's hands
And face her wrath
Her punishment is difficult to conceive
You won't know what you'll receive
And it cannot be figured out by math.
I know this, because I am a journeyman.
I keep going to the halfway point
But my desire is never joint.
It's always just me.
I can't make another do this
I keep subjecting myself to fate
This must sound careless.
To plunge again and again
Knowing full well that I'll just be a friend
Feels like I'm being punished for having sinned.
But I keep holding out hope
That these dealings with fate will lead me
Lead me to that person
That one person that will meet me halfway
And continue tomorrow
What started today
That one person that crosses,
Crosses with no resistance;
The one who will go the Distance.

-ATLthePoet

No comments:

Post a Comment