Saturday, March 7, 2009

My First Post; one of my favorite speeches!

I have finally joined the Blogspot world! I have been contemplating this for quite some time...I felt it best to broaden my audience and broaden my horizons. Now, more people can read my work, and I can read more of the work of others; it's a win-win. I have tons of poetry to post, but I think it's fitting that my first post be my address to the nation after the election of Barack Obama...I still love this piece. Feedback would be nice, and more posts to come!


An American Address – Nov. 5th, 2008

For the first time in over 40 years, we, as Black people, and we, as a nation, have come together to make something positive happen. This is the type of event that all of the great Black heroes and heroines lived and died for. Although I believe that MLK would have been the first Black president, I am 100% sure that he's looking down with a smile on his face. We as Americans should be proud of ourselves. No longer did we sit back and allow for the usual voters to continue the usual trends. Obama offered us change, and we did everything possible to take him up on that. Kudos to all of you who voted for him. Also, I must say that I appreciate all of you that voted McCain as well. He seemed to be a capable leader, and you all believed in him. Do not feel bad about him losing. No matter your opinion of Obama, this nation saw him as the most capable man for the job, and he did more than McCain to prove himself as such. He appealed to most, and is a good man. You must learn to trust him, so that we can be the UNITED States of America. I'll be the first to say that I wasn't an Obama supporter in the beginning. Even now I am unsure of some of his policies. However, I see and have seen that he is a great MAN. That is what is most important. If he handles the Presidency like he handles himself, we are in great and capable hands. But I didn't write this note about him. This note is a call to action, to all Americans. And so to you I speak.

We the people now have an obligation. We have given Barack Hussein Obama the chance to succeed. But this is not all on him. We must assist him. Rather than place all of our problems on his shoulders, we must take responsibility and change our situations as much as we can. We elected him under the premises of "Change" and "Yes We Can." So now, let us live these creeds. For Blacks, this is especially important. It IS time for change in the Black community. No longer can we use the race card. There can be no more "oh, it's because I'm Black." If you haven't noticed, 43% of White voters voted for Obama. Almost half of all White voters voted for a Black man. The race card has officially been revoked. I'm not saying racism will disappear, as it has reared its ugly head in the aftermath of Obama's victory, but now you must CHANGE. No longer can you fret about it, or use it as a crutch. Calmly accept the racism, then outperform he or she that is criticizing you. Now is the time for this race to rise. Stop aiming to stay in the "hood." Get out, and MAKE IT. It is possible. I have been preaching these things for years, but now it can happen...Yes We Can! We can stop all of the negative stereotypes. Start being on time for things. Instead of picking up a gun to solve a problem, pick up a piece of paper and draft an agreement. Or, if that doesn't work for you, just go talk it out. Let's be more civil. MLK died for this day, so let us honor him. Do you all understand that this is the first time Black people have coalesced since the Civil Rights Era? Let us not fall back apart. Stop disliking people for having more or better clothes than you. Instead, figure out what that person is doing to get the money to afford such clothes. If you can't afford it, then be confident in what you can afford, and aim to be able to buy better clothes. Let's aim higher! And that goes to the entire country! The U.S. has so much hope and pride right now...we must sustain this! For the last four years, the country has been torn apart with lack of patriotism, nationalism, hope, and pride. Now that we have come together, things are better! Did you see the crowd at Obama's speech? Whites and Blacks and everyone else all TOGETHER, rejoicing! Old and young, male and female, no matter who, no matter what, we are in this TOGETHER! This is the people's Presidency. If Obama does something you don't approve of, don't lose faith in him, and don't chastise him. Simply acknowledge it, and support him even more. Whatever he does, he is doing it for the common good! He is here to help, and that's how you should be as well. If you see someone struggling, whether it's in school or in life, tell that person Yes You Can. To my fellow Black brothers: if you mistakenly father a child, don't say you're not ready to be a dad and leave. Yes You Can be a father. It is human nature, and as you stick around it will come to you. Ask for help if you have to! Also, the N-word needs to be omitted from Black vernacular. Saying "my nigga Obama" or "Obama? That's my nigga" is unacceptable. Now is the time to crush that word. Let the racist people have it; be above that. We must all be brothers and sisters now. I will tell you to do what I do: meet your enemies with kindness. This negates what they do. They're looking for a response, either anger or pain. Kindness is too much for them, as it reaches their heart. Love is the most transcendent force on this planet, so let us use it now to bring this country even closer. We not only witnessed history, we MADE it. No one can take that from you, for as long as you live. But we CANNOT rest on our laurels. Now the real history starts: when our grandkids study America, will they see the unity of a nation in the second decade of the 21st Century? Only if we begin to band together now. It won't be an overnight process America. But, together, Yes We Can. Change is here, so let us welcome it with open arms, and make it happen. Thank you for your time. Two fingers, one love.

*God Bless America!*

No comments:

Post a Comment