Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Question, In Earnest - 3/7/13

Just give me a moment of your time...
A distant corner of your mind.
Give me some sort of audience,
That's all I ask.
You see, there are things that need to be said,
Thoughts earnestly wanting to leave my head.
My heart's in my outstretched hands,
And that's how I'm being led.
I typically wear it on my sleeve,
But I figured you'd find that hard to believe...
Even if you did see it with your own eyes.
Your third one has deceived you before,
Looking past signs you couldn't ignore,
Projecting potential greatness on the disrespect that walked through the door,
So you're wary of the other two...
That's why I'm trying to give you another view.
I could make a case for why I should be loving you,
Or mention how I'd love to be touching you,
But I'd rather have my honesty be the one hugging you...
Instead of doses of lies drugging you,
A facade creeping up from behind and mugging you,
Taking away your love and your open mind, spiritually plugging you,
Leaving you connected to a rolling stone, constantly tugging you.
Pardon me if I'm bugging you,
It's unintentional.
But I think you're some type of exceptional,
So naturally I had to make my approach unconventional.
It's also unconditional.
Most like to play a game of back-and-forth,
Giving a little here, only if they receive a little there.
I've put mine all out on the line,
Hoping my farfetched attracts your rare.
I'm aware that I'm leaving myself so bare...
But if making myself defenseless penetrates your defenses,
Then I'll take any pain I have to bear.
And that includes reining in my heart,
If you decide you don't want to share.
...but all of that is neither here, nor there.
It comes down to a simple question:
May I have a chance, one that's fair?

-A. Lewis

No comments:

Post a Comment